Monday, March 28, 2005

OPERATION: LOUVER SEEKER

This weekend, my housemate and I climbed upon the roof to give the evap. cooler a good refurbishing. We bought a new water pump, cooling pads, two packages of zip ties, a floater valve, twenty five feet of copper tubing, and a new belt. The previous owners had geri-rigged it with automotive belts from NAPA, which made it squealed like someone burning out on my roof. Aside from the water hose falling off the roof, and having to go down several extra times for another tool, completing the repairs was pretty easy. The downer is, what I have come to find out is called the louver (the cover that wraps around the unit), is not manufactured anymore. Apparently the cooler I have was manufactured shortly after Lincoln's assisination, and to get factory parts you have to rob a museum. I have been referred half a dozen times already, and the latest "only place that carries it" is sixty miles away, and closed on Mondays. The clerk that helped me initially told me "ah, you need a louver"
"a what?"
"a louver, you know the thing that turns into popcorn ever four years?"
"oh, ok....do you have one?"
"no, sorry"

after this the conversations have all gone like this:

10 "Hi, I need a louver for an Aireze evaporative cooler."
20 "Oh, we don't have any of those. We used to, but we don't have them anymore. The only place I know that carries them is" A$
30 Look up A$
40 Dial # for A$
50 goto 10

In the meantime I suppose I will just have to live with a naked cooler. How embarassing!

No comments: